AllScale is an innovative programming approach for ExaScale, decoupling program specification parallelism from management tasks during runtime. Their parallel programming model is based on the nested recursive parallelism, focusing on the following developments:
- Automated applications porting from small- to extreme scale architectures.
- Flexible tuning of program execution to fulfil trade-offs among execution time, energy and resource usage.
- Efficient management of hardware resources and associated parameters (e.g. clock speed),
- Seamless Integration of resilience management measures to compensate for isolated hardware failures.
- Online performance monitoring and analysis.
The above mentioned developments will provide an application independent, reusable codes, taking advantage of combining sophisticated, modular and customizable compiler and runtime system based solutions.
As strategic partner within the Allscale project, NUMECA will develop and extend the usage of it's FINE™/Open toolchain to exascale HPC.
The request from the industry towards higher fidelity CFD and increased simulation reliability is more and more pressing. The use of unsteady LES (Large Eddy Simulation) or DNS (Direct Numerical Simulation) provides an appropriate approach to fulfil such imposed industry demand.
However, when applied to industrial cases on complex geometries, such LES/DNS simulations imply very large meshes, ranging from 1 to 10 billion mesh points, yielding problems of 50-100 billions+ degrees of freedom as well as thousands of unsteady time steps. To fulfil those requirements, the cost, in terms of CPU time, needs to be significantly reduced, and the best way to do it, is to increase the number of processors, towards ExaScale HPC (High Performance Computing).
Transient flow behind a triangular shaped body using FINE/Open.
AllScale will boost development productivity, portability and runtime efficiency. It will reduce energy needs, thus improving the resource efficiency utilisation of small to extreme scale parallel systems. The achieved outcomes are validated with applications from fluid dynamics, environmental hazard and space weather simulations; provided from industrial and academic consortium partners.
- Single Source to Any Scale
- Facilitate Recursive Parallelism
- Multi-Objective Optimization for time, energy and resource usage
- Unified Runtime System
- Mitigating Hardware Failures
- Integrated Online/Offline Monitoring
And be the first to be informed as the AllScale consortium is becoming an important player and technology developer in the ExaScale community.